Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Big Dance: Round 2


I don't know about anyone else, but after Round 2, I feel like the Prom Queen who tripped over her dress and fell flat on her face. I've picked myself up, but my dress is torn and tattered, my glamorous up-do is straggling down around my face, and my corsage? My corsage is beyond repair, yet I can still smell the fragrance from the flowers....a faint reminder of the promise and potential the dance had to offer. I imagine that scenario is somewhat similar to how Kansas must have felt at the end of their game against Northern Iowa. :(

Personally, I think all of the prognosticators and “talking heads” do a disservice to all of the other teams when everyone singles out one team to win it all. Yes, I'm disappointed that Kansas lost...but only because it totally screwed up my ONE bracket. Other than that, I didn't have a personal interest in any of these games. I found myself pulling for the underdog, St. Mary's Gaels, rather than Villanova, even though I had picked Villanova on my bracket. Typical female I suppose, since we girls just ♥love♥ Cinderella stories...we're brainwashed with it from the time we're little, and that's just how we roll. It's a fact of life. It was the same with Missouri and West Virginia. On my bracket I picked WVa over Missouri. I had been told, repeatedly, that West Virginia has a really good team, but.....I’ve been told that before.

One autumn day in particular stands out in my memory. On September 19, 2009, I stood in the Deluge of the Century at Jordan-Hare stadium and watched the underdog Auburn Tigers womp the WVa Mountaineers 41-30...so maybe, just maybe, that’s why I found myself pulling for the Mizzou Tigers! Random thought about that rainy game at Jordan-Hare: I noticed a West Virginia fan all decked out in his yellow and blue Argyle pants (I lie not), standing in the rain with a lovely orange poncho emblazoned with a huge, blue AU on the front and back, and I thought to myself, “I bet that sux!”

The loss by Kansas really ruined my ONE bracket! I have 32 of 64 games, if I have it figured correctly. I have 40 of 64 pts on the Rivals/Yahoo bracket, with a group total of 31 of 48 pts. On my ESPN bracket I have 430 points for a 92.9% simply because I eliminated Kansas earlier in the bracket. In the College Hoops Pick’em, I missed day one because I didn’t click “submit” after making the picks, so I had a whopping total of zero on day one....I’m new at this, so geez, it takes me awhile to navigate these sports pages. Since then I have accumulated a grand total of 22 points, which is 56.7% and is one more than the average of 21, or 50%,...so at least I’m “above average!” :) It remains to be seen whether any of the remaining teams I picked will end up in the Elite Eight. It's looking good for Kentucky and Tennessee *cross fingers* and yes, I'll admit, I'm pulling for my SEC teams like no other! I'll keep you posted!

Laterz,
~Starr

No comments:

Post a Comment